Death Toll in Lagos Fire Disaster Rises to 21
Two more bodies have been recovered by the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, from the wreckage of Sunday’s fire disaster in Lagos State.
This brings the number of deaths from the incident to twenty-one.
NEMA had earlier pulled out 16 bodies, while the Navy Referral Hospital in the state said three persons brought to the hospital also lost their lives.
On Sunday morning, precisely 09:30am, fire broke out at Abule Ado area of Amuwo Odofin local government area of Lagos state.
Many buildings collapsed as the impact was felt as far as 15km away from the scene of the incident.
Although NEMA said it was yet to ascertain the cause of the fire, CABNCTV had gathered that the fire which started from a Tipper van that was loading sand, spread and affected a gas pipeline that passed through the area.
The Commissioner of Police in Lagos state, Hakeem Odumosun also cleared the air on the attacks, saying it had nothing to do with terrorism or pipeline vandalism.
He said, “The explosion had nothing to do with terrorism or pipeline vandalism. It was a human error.”
Meanwhile, the Naval hospital in Lagos state said it received and attended to casualties from the explosion site.
It said 55 persons were attended to made up of 36 school children and 19 adults.
A statement from the hospital reads in part, “One of the adults had about 35 per cent mixed degree burns with inhalation injuries and pulmonary edema. He has been admitted into the Intensive Care Unit and connected to a ventilator. Seven other adults and 2 children are on admission in the Wards. Two adults had Traumatic Brain Injury and were referred to LUTH for neurosurgical intervention. The remaining 43 have been treated and discharged.”